The Careers Department at Pool Academy will help you make sound decisions and choices about your future. We provide information about further education, training and employment prospects covering a wide variety of different industry sectors so that all students receive the best and most appropriate information for them, whatever their level of achievement.
PSHE lessons, career sessions and tutorial periods will be used to keep students updated on the opportunities available and students are encouraged to visit the careers library to speak to our Connexions PA who is able to advise on a wide range of issues including educational, training and career opportunities.
Your choice of options should reflect your career interests and aspirations, although the broad based core curriculum reduces the possibility of opting out of important subjects which could reduce your post sixteen career opportunities.
How to research Careers, Jobs and College options...
• The Library in school/other resources:
Careers section – Books/leaflets on specific careers and industries
Sixth Form and College Prospectus
• Useful Careers related websites to use include:
- Use the website to complete quizzes about you, explore your options after 16, research into job ideas you have, complete personal statements, an action plan and create a CV.
- Lots of useful information/booklets you can download on your options, how to write CV's, letters employers etc
- Information on how to find work, apprenticeships, courses
- Access to web chat with one of our advisers.
- Very useful website particularly if you are unsure what you want to do! – asks you questions, then matches you to possible jobs.
- Browse the Job Profiles section to research job titles/areas of work that you are interested in.
- It will give you information about jobs, pay, what you need to do certain jobs, how to do a CV and has links to other useful websites and labour market information.
- Shows you video clips and information on a wide variety of
jobs and careers.Has people talking about the job they do,
as well as video clips from larger companies/organisations.
– If you are looking for apprenticeships, register on this website to look for vacancies! Plus use for information about apprenticeships.
- This e-book blows aways the myths surrounding apprenticeships
– Search for university courses and look at entry requirements/subjects and grades you may need to do certain courses.
• Attend College and Sixth Form Open Days and Evenings:
o A chance to ask teachers/tutors about different courses and decide what you would like to do and where you would like to go.
o Look out for details/dates from September.
Thirty video case studies from people explaining what their job entails, how they got there and why they have chosen Cornwall as the place to develop their career.
44% of graduates regret not doing an apprenticeship*. That's almost half of all graduates. There are hundreds of different apprenticeships to choose from, and you earn money while at the same time gaining qualifications and experience – it's no wonder they're the first choice for millions of school leavers.
Apprenticeships are well worth a second look..... but how do you choose which one is right for you and your future?
If you need any further information, advice or guidance, speak to your Careers Adviser in The Base.
Download a full copy of the school's Education and Guidance Policy below: